Skip to content

Life Update – Another Move

If you’ve been keeping up with my blog you’re probably thinking, “Another move?!” and you’re absolutely right. This will be my fifth move in less than two and a half years.

Let me explain.

All righty, so in August I made three years as a full-time author. Honestly, I didn’t think it was possible for me to make a living from writing. I thought I would always have a day job and write on the side. The Crime Lord Series changed my life. It skyrocketed me into a new life and mindset. I realized anything was possible.

I’ve always been a restless soul and had this fantasy about living on the road–letting the wind blow me where it would. Living in a new city every year sounded like an awesome challenge and with my burgeoning career as an author, I had the means to do it. I made the decision to leave Hawaii (again) and delve back into the big, bad world.

I delved in all right.

I moved back to Las Vegas where the Crime Lord Series takes place and where I lived for nearly four years in my early twenties when the economy crashed in 2008. I have fond memories of my come up here. Las Vegas shoved me into adulthood, taught me how to be independent, and became the backdrop for a series that gave me a career. It seemed like a logical place to get my feet wet. I had grand ideas of building my business, attending signings, and traveling constantly.

Of course, it didn’t work out that way.

It seems from the moment I arrived in Las Vegas (even before, to be honest) I was plagued with tragedies and odd happenings that kept me on my toes and on the move. Hostile neighbors, shady landlords, unusual winters, bad business contacts, and more. I was never able to settle peacefully in any location and as a writer, I was still trying to figure out the business side. Not only was I trying to settle into a career that was evolving daily, I couldn’t figure out where I wanted to be. I moved to Utah for a few months and even drove up to Oregon to scope out the landscape, but nothing felt right. I spent months trying to figure out what state I’d live in or if I wanted to live in an RV, but I always ended up renting in Las Vegas and the bad cycle would start all over again and I’d be counting down the months until my next move.

It took about two years and a lot of moving and heartache for me to realize that the best place for me is the place I left. Hawaii. I’m from there and in the past scoffed at such a quiet, simple life, but now I find myself desperately yearning for it. I guess I am getting older. LOL. It took a lot of soul searching for me to realize what I want isn’t necessarily what I need. Living a nomadic life isn’t in my cards right now. I need peace and quiet and stability more than I need to see a new sight every couple of months. In Hawaii I’m constantly bombarded by family and friends, but maybe that’s what I need. I need a home base, an anchor of sorts in a world that’s changing so quickly, I have to run to keep up.

So, I’m moving home. And I’m damn excited and relieved. I swear, this is going to be the last mega move for a long time!

I explained all this so you realize what’s been going on with me and the delay for the books. This isn’t a good excuse, but it’s all I’ve got. I feel awful that I’ve made you all wait forever and I promise this move home is going to yield amazing results. It’s where I started, after all. In the past 11 years I’ve moved 10 times and I’m finally over trying to find the “perfect” place. As a friend of mine says, “It is what you make it.” I’m still figuring myself out, but moving back to Hawaii is the largest and most important puzzle piece and it’s falling into place. I found out where I want to be. Check! Now, I just have to settle in and write my ass off.

I appreciate you all so much. I know I don’t say it enough. I’m a notorious hermit and live in my head. I loathe attention, so having an audience freaks me out and sends me into panic mode. I’m slowly adjusting. LOL. Even my siblings send me texts like, “Are you still alive? Ok. Just checking.” I’m one of those writers who would be happy as a clam in a tiny cabin in the woods with no one around for miles. I guess my plethora of characters keep me entertained… Ok, now I sound crazy, but that’s what artists are known for, right?

I leave Las Vegas in less than 30 days, so I’m right in the eye of the storm right now and my brain is skittering in a million directions, but I felt like I owed you guys an explanation for my helter-skelter online presence and release schedule of late. Honestly, I don’t know when book 5 will come out. I’ll arrive home in mid-October and I plan to nest, set myself up, and dive in, but there’s also the holidays, which my family expects me to participate in. And you know what? For the first time, I’m down. I guess battling with the rest of the world for the past two years has given me an all-new appreciation for family and community.

Books 5 and 6 have events that are happening simultaneously. Book 5 is Carmen’s while book 6 belongs to another character. This is the reason for writing both books at the same time. Book 5 is already promising to be as big as Awakened by Sin so the two books combined is more like two and a half or three books. BUT, me being home means all that other shit that took up so much of my time will cease to exist so I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a shitload done. I hope to blow your minds next year with the amount of books I plan to release. (Oh, God, please may I not be cursing myself.)

But yeah, that’s my latest and why you haven’t seen updates for book 5. I can say about 5 (I don’t have a title yet) that the tone and breadth of it is already surprising the hell out of me. We meet old and new characters and I desperately want to give Carmen the HEA she craves so… It’s coming. And I promise to post any updates ASAP! I swear, I have amazing things in store for the Crime Lord Series and Singed so please continue being patient and amazing. I promise I’ll come through!

40 Comments

1. Serena Nicholls on September 15, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Honey the thing you need to remember is that YOU are the most important person in all of this….yes us readers are champing at the bit to get the next installment but we will wait (even if it’s the most painful thing ever 😉) You need to be happy and settled and in the right frame of mind to do what you do. Seriously though stay well, be happy, and enjoy making your home 😍

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Thank you. You guys are the best! It humbles me all the time.

• Lei on October 19, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Hurry back home to Hawaii! I travel the world but always love returning home to my island paradise in Hawaii too. It may not be Bora Bora, but it’s special nonetheless!

Come home and write your ass off! You got this Tita! We your fans can wait, but don’t make us wait too long please!

Mucho Mahalo!

2. Kirsty on September 15, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Hope she ends up with angel they suit well together ♥️

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 4:19 pm

We’ll see who she chooses!!

• Whitneh on October 5, 2019 at 10:18 am

Omg me too! The sexiest scenes are with them. #teamangel lol

3. Maryann Sarkady on September 15, 2019 at 4:04 pm

I appreciate you as an author and know that you put your “ all” into any project you are doing ! I hope you find your HEA and continue to turn out wonderful books to keep all of us fans begging for more !

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 4:15 pm

That’s my plan! Thank you Maryann!

• Rhonda on September 15, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Girl! There is no place like home,😂😘. Even when they get on our nerves and aggravate us to no end, they give us a peace we can’t find anywhere else in this world. Take all the time you need.
        As for your writing, we will wait. Because we are your fans, followers, readers. We will wait.
        We love you, take care.

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Thank you Rhonda. Big hugs!

• Madelynn on September 19, 2019 at 10:24 pm

I totally get it. I’ve moved 20 times in the last 17 years (and there were at least 30 before that!) I am so over moving around, I can’t think about it. It destroyed my marriage and I almost have PTSD from it. I don’t have family to go back to, but I’ve returned very close to the place that made me the happiest, so it’s similar to your experience. I love it here, but living in a rural area has it’s challenges so I may end up moving into town (back where I started 17 years ago). I understand life getting in the way of your goals and plans flying out the window. I am in awe of your talent and look forward to your next instalment, however long that takes. It’s more important to be comfortable and at peace than following a schedule at a harrowing pace. Be well Mia. I wish you peace and clarity. Look after yourself and we’ll be waiting when you are ready.

• Mia Knight on September 20, 2019 at 12:31 am

Thank you Madelynn and I wish you peace and clarity as well. Moving can be fun, but it can also become a habit that’s hard to break and exhausts us. I’m also moving back to where it all began for me and I’m fortunate enough to have family willing to help me come back, which would otherwise be impossible. Much love and thank you for your kind words. I can’t wait to give you guys more!

4. Ann Lopez on September 15, 2019 at 4:07 pm

You need to do what will make you happy. Being surrounded by the love of your family and friends gives you the positivity energy to be creative. Hope all goesneell with your move. ( Hawaii is on my bucket lost to visit first!)

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Yes, I think I need friends and family to keep me stable. LOL. Hawaii’s a beautiful place to be. Yes, you’ll need to visit!

5. Skullinda on September 15, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Safe travels!!! I don’t care about the wait. I’m anxious for it, just like everyone else, but you always execute your delivery on these books by hitting a grand slam every time!

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Thank you so much!

6. Karen Baldwin on September 15, 2019 at 5:55 pm

Your moving around has afforded you feel what thought would be a new start and comfortable. Once you realize that comfort is where family and friends are that gives you the encouragement to be the best writer that you are. Even though going back to the place you started will always be your blessing. Your thoughts and wisdom what makes you that excellent writer. So take your time settle in Hawaii and pound out your thoughts in Crime Lord Series and all of your next series that you will make readers grasping for more.

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Thank you, Karen. This made me tear up! Hearing messages like this is just confirmation that I’m doing the right thing. Much love!

7. Carlanatasha on September 15, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Hope everything work out. I learn and still learning we have to roll with the punches. At the same time be mindful of your self and health because it can be stressful and don’t even know it. Hope all will be well. As much as the waiting is crazy, the books will be the best.

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 7:30 pm

Thank you, babe! Yes, moving in general is stressful and moving over the ocean even more so. Rolling with the punches and being flexible is imperative. I’m trying to pack in spurts and take time amidst the madness. Telling you all has taken a load off of me, though. Much love!

8. Serena on September 15, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Mia, I love you. Take as much time as you need. Carmen’s HEA can’t happen if you aren’t in a happy place yourself. And as someone who just did the moving process to be closer to family (“home”), I completely understand. Sending love!

• Mia Knight on September 15, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Thank you, Serena! That’s true about Carmen’s HEA. Never thought about that, but it makes sense! Much love!

9. Betsy on September 15, 2019 at 7:39 pm

You cannot focus on your work if your life is in upheaval. You do whatever you have to find what you need. That’s your number #1 priority. The writing will fall into place & we’ll all be waiting to devour what you write. Best of luck with your move back to Hawaii. It sounds as though you’re meant to be there!

• Mia Knight on September 16, 2019 at 10:48 am

Thank you Betsy! Yes, it’s been impossible to work while worrying where I’m going to move next. I believe I am supposed to be in Hawaii. Thanks for the well wishes!

10. Mollee R on September 16, 2019 at 12:33 am

Mia, life happens-every single day.
    Don’t apologize for not having the books finished, know that you are gifting us with time and a reason to reread the Crime Lord Series while waiting for books 5 and 6 to be released.
    It’s all in how you look at it. Maybe, had you stayed in Hawaii, you’d be in the same place -having written little, stressed about finishing the writing.

Books have a life of their own, when they are ready to be written you will know it. And if you push the writing in your time, it won’t be as good. So do YOU want to write the book or do you want the story to develop on its own?
    Let the life of the book shine through!

So take your time packing, take a day for yourself, move as it happens, unpack, settle in, calm your mind and write. Write the story that needs to be told. Trust the words! You got ‘em-you’ve proved that!!

Your first four books were/are addictive and when the next two come out the readers will reread or remember how good 1-4 were and jump at the chance to read 5 and 6.
    Sometimes waiting is part of the journey- for the author and the reader.

Good luck with the move across the ocean.
    And best of luck writing the story that is meant to be.

• Mia Knight on September 16, 2019 at 10:52 am

Thank you Mollee! Great words of advice. Sometimes I think readers don’t understand that books don’t materialize out of nowhere and I have to be in the right mindset for the words to come so I was happy to see your message and that’s true–I could have stayed in Hawaii and still be in a rut. I’m a firm believer in everything that happens is supposed to happen so I don’t discount experiences or say I wasted time. I’m just very happy to be going home. Thank you for your message and kind words and I can’t wait to get back to work and give you all more!

• Louise on October 14, 2019 at 12:52 am

love the books I am addicted! love the author Mia thx! your books speak to my soul ! thank you ! love that you are an animal person ! so so happy !!!yip I want to start reading them AGAIN it was amazing ! Love Lyla and Gavin and hate some other characters but that is exactly what a good writer is! well done girl you did amazing !!!

11. Shahama on September 16, 2019 at 3:10 am

Sometimes you just need to face the storm and face the bad days just so that you can learn to enjoy the good days. Maybe Las Vegas was the bad days. ANd now hopefully it’ll all be over and new old life starts. Can’t wait for you to start writing! Take care of yourself! Health is important too. And really hope Carmen ends up with Marcus (wink wink) . Lots of hugs

• Mia Knight on September 16, 2019 at 11:00 am

Thank you! I can’t wait for this new season and to get back to writing!

12. Mickey Blevins on September 16, 2019 at 3:11 am

Don’t worry, we will all wait. It’s important for you to feel at ease where you’re at. I do hope you have a good move. My uncle left Kansas for Hawaii 45 years ago. Taught a couple of years and decided to move back to Kansas. Got a law degree and after a couple of years moved back to Hawaii. He’s been there ever since.

We were from Montana. Moved to Texas to supposedly help the client base for our business. Got stuck there 17 years. Always wanted to move back home to Montana. Finally got our ducks in a row and planned to sell house and move. Before we got house sold we all (two daughters,me and 3 grandkids) decided that we needed a new adventure and moved to California. Been here just over a year and love it. You just never know.

Good for you!

• Mia Knight on September 16, 2019 at 11:03 am

Aww that’s great! I love the “new adventure” thing. Yes, life is very unpredictable and I’ve realized it’s okay to make corrections and backtrack if that’s what’s best. Doesn’t matter what people say. Just do what makes you happy. I LOVE Montana. I think it’s gorgeous but I couldn’t do the winters. I lived in Austin, TX for a year. I had a great time there. Beautiful and the people were so friendly, it almost felt like Hawaii. I’m so glad everything worked out for you guys! Much love!

13. Jacky on September 16, 2019 at 5:11 am

Mia, I will pre order anything you will write… no blurb needed. We miss you and can’t wait to escape into your worlds again! Maybe this move will be your HEA that you deserve and your characters can benefit from! Much love from California

• Mia Knight on September 16, 2019 at 11:04 am

Aww thank you Jacky! Sending my love back to you! I can’t wait to give you all more material. Soon!

14. Yuko on September 19, 2019 at 11:56 pm

Wow, you’ll be another good person to leave Las Vegas. Too bad I couldn’t meet you in person but good luck on your move. No matter where you live, take your time, we readers of yours will wait for your next book.
    With love from Las Vegas

15. Kristine Haboran on September 20, 2019 at 6:30 am

Good luck with the move and don’t worry your books are well worth the wait.

16. Renee Contreras on September 20, 2019 at 8:30 am

You are a very talented author and your fans love you. We will be patient. Take the time you need and be happy and just be YOU. We all want the best for YOU. And seriously…when Mia Knight is happy…her fans are happy!!!

17. Renee Carden on September 20, 2019 at 11:57 am

You need to do what’s best for you !! Family is everything 😊. I can’t wait for the next book, but I will!! I love your books !! Thank you

18. Donna Lee on September 21, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Aww..good luck on your move back home! Take your time! You need to do YOU before anything else. Your fans are patiently waiting! #1FAN #TeamMarcus 😉😂

19. Fran on September 29, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Hey, I feel you girl. Nomadhood ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. I found I did the same things in each country, buy groceries, watch netflix, work, sleep. In fact, the most fun I have in a new country is checking out the grocery store to see what’s diff. (btw, the USA has the best grocery stores in the world)

I read some of the Crime Lord, but am not interested in that series right now. I WANT SINGED! When is book 2 coming out?

20. Whitney on October 5, 2019 at 10:11 am

I can’t wait for those books to come out! Your writing is amazing! I have been trying to find books related to yours and none have compared. I’m excited to see where these stories lead to. I have to say though I’m rooting for Angel in awakened by sin! Please oh please let me be right! Lol!